The Day of Crisis Competition
The Hague Academy of International Law proudly launched the “Day of Crisis”, an annually held student competition, in 2021. Over the course of 24 hours, several teams of students, representing governments, international organizations, businesses or non-governmental organizations, face a series of major international crises. Participants are required to deal with a variety of legal issues by providing an opinion, advising a client, drafting documents, negotiating or elaborating diplomatic strategies. This competition challenges students’ knowledge of public international law and a variety skills, such as collaborating in a team, drafting, negotiating and working under pressure.
The Day of Crisis competition was created at Paris Nanterre University in 2012, with the support of Simmons and Simmons international law firm. Since then, it has been successfully held every year on a variety of topics, in either Paris or London. Since 2022, the competition is organized on the premises of The Hague Academy of International Law following the same concept.
Previous webpage of the Day of Crisis: https://sites.google.com/view/dayofcrisis/accueil
Any university, law school or college offering a law or international relations degree may register a team of four to five members for the competition (NB: minimum education must be at Masters level). Due to limited spots, up to 12 teams will be invited to participate in the Day of Crisis at the Academy. Participation is free of charge. Teams and participants that particularly distinguish themselves during the contest will receive special certificates and prizes. A team member from the designated Best Team of the competition will be offered an internship at the Simmons&Simmons law firm in Paris.
In 2023, the Jury of the competition included:
- H.E. Mr. Nicolas Michel, President of the US-Iran Claims Tribunal
- H.E. Mr. Arnoldo Brenes Castro, Ambassador of Costa Rica to the Kingdom of the Netherlands
- H.E. Ms. Carolina Olarte-Bácares, Ambassador of Colombia to the Kingdom of the Netherlands
- Mr. Philippe Cavalieros, Partner at Simmons & Simmons Paris
- Prof. Jean-Marc Thouvenin, Secretary-General of The Hague Academy of International Law
Universities that sent teams to previous editions:
King’s College London (United Kingdom):
Paris Nanterre University (France):
American University Washington College of Law (United States):
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (Spain):
UC3M team wins the “Day of Crisis” law competition | UC3M
Leiden wins two prizes in Day of Crisis Competition 2023
- Best team – Fellows of the International Court of Justice
- Best written advice – University Carlos III of Madrid (Spain)
- Best negotiating team – King’s College London (United Kingdom)
- Best initial statement – Fellows of the International Court of Justice
- Best speaker – Paula Belén Moreno-Cervera De La Cuesta (University Carlos III of Madrid)