Doctoral scholarships, which are financed by the Academy, may be awarded to nationals of non-member states of the OECD residing in their own country, who are expected to defend their thesis before December 31st of the year following the granting of the scholarship.
Applicants must produce:
- A letter of motivation including a sworn statement indicating that, barring unforeseen circumstances, the thesis is indeed in the process of being completed, as well as a recommendation letter from their supervisor confirming this.
- A memo detailing the exact topic of the thesis and its general outline.
- Good knowledge of English or French;
- Candidates must not previously have been granted a doctoral scholarship by the Academy.
Period: 8 weeks (1 July - 1 September 2019);
All scholarship applications to attend the 2019 summer session must be submitted before January 31st, 23:59 hrs (GMT+1).
Scholarships are in the amount of €2250 (€35 per day) + half of the traveling expenses, up to a maximum of €910.
The Academy will verify that the recipients of the doctoral scholarships effectively reside in The Hague for a period of 2 months without interruption and that they use the Peace Palace Library's Reading Room and resources on a regular basis;
- Scholarship holders are requested to attend the General Course as well as any special course directly related to their thesis topic;
- Since the purpose of the doctoral scholarship is to focus on the thesis, scholarship holders aren't allowed to simultaneously participate in the Directed Studies sessions;
- A certificate of attendance will be issued to all scholarship holders who will have proven to have worked in the library on a regular basis.