The Academy offers so-called doctoral scholarships to nationals of non-member States of the OECD, residing in their own country, who are expected to defend their theses before December 31st of the year following the granting of the scholarship. The selected beneficiaries will be able to finalize their research and work on their theses at the Peace Palace Library during the months of July and August, and partially attend the Summer Courses.
Applicants must submit:
- A letter of motivation including a sworn statement indicating that, barring unforeseen circumstances, the thesis is indeed in the process of being completed, as well as a recommendation letter from their supervisor confirming this;
- A memo detailing the exact topic of the thesis and its general outline.
- Good knowledge of English or French;
- Candidates must not previously have been granted a doctoral scholarship by the Academy.
Period: 8 weeks (1 July – 1 September 2021);
Scholarships are in the amount of €2250 (€35 per day) + half of the traveling expenses, up to a maximum of €910.
All doctoral scholarship applications for summer 2021 must be submitted before January 31st 2021, 23:59 hrs. The Hague time (GMT+1).
- The Academy will verify that the recipients of the doctoral scholarships effectively reside in The Hague for a period of 2 months without interruption and that they use the Peace Palace Library’s Reading Room and resources on a regular basis;
- Scholarship holders are allowed to attend the General Course as well as any Special Course directly related to their thesis topic;
- Since the purpose of the doctoral scholarship is to focus on the thesis, scholarship holders aren’t allowed to simultaneously participate in the Directed Studies sessions;
- A certificate of attendance will be issued to all scholarship holders who will have proven to have worked at the library on a regular basis.