Application Guidelines – Winter Courses
IMPORTANT PRELIMINARY INFORMATION TO APPLY FOR ATTENDANCE IN THE HAGUE
- The registration period to submit an application to attend the Winter Courses starts on May 1st;
- The deadline to apply at the full fee is October 2nd, 2022;
- The deadline to apply for a scholarship is July 31st, 2022;
- Applications for participation in the Directed Studies are to be made simultaneously with the application for a place at the full fee or for a scholarship;
- Incomplete registration forms will not be treated;
- The e-mail address you provide us with in your registration form will be used for all Academy correspondence. Please make sure it works and consult your inbox regularly;
- Apply ONLINE only. Do not send hard copies of the application or any other documents by e-mail or regular mail; these will not be considered;
- The documents to upload when registering should be in PDF format, except for the identity photograph (.jpeg only);
- If you experience problems completing the registration, please try changing your web browser.
FULL FEE APPLICATION
1. Please consult the conditions for admission;
2. Before starting your online application, prepare the documents you will need to upload to the form:
- A copy of your valid passport or ID;
- An identity photograph;
- If you are a student: a copy of proof of enrolment at your university (official transcripts are accepted as well);
- If you are a professional: a statement from your company or organization certifying that you are employed by them;
- A copy of your highest degree certificate or an official document from your university certifying that you are preparing to obtain a degree (official transcripts are accepted as well). If the original document isn’t in English or French, please add a translation. You can translate the document into English or French yourself, as long as you add a sworn statement to it, certifying its accuracy and adding the date, place, your name and signature.
Full fee applicants will receive an answer within 2 to 4 weeks after applying.
SCHOLARSHIP AND/OR DIRECTED STUDIES APPLICATION
2. You will need to upload all the documents requested for the full fee application, plus:
- A curriculum vitae;
- A short letter giving reasons for the application (typewritten, 1.5 pages maximum) indicating whether you’re applying for a scholarship, for the Directed Studies or for both;
- A recommendation letter from a professor of international law, to be sent separately by the professor him/herself.
The results of the scholarship and/or Directed Studies selection will be communicated by e-mail to applicants in October.
Instructions for having the recommendation letter sent by your referee:
In the recommendation letter the professor must indicate his/her full title, name, university/company and e-mail address. References can be written in English or French. They should be signed and sent personally by the referee as PDF files to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Academy does not send requests to referees. It is the applicant’s sole responsibility to ensure this letter is sent by their professor before closure of registrations. Please do not ask your referee to send hard copies.
Applicants must fill out the name of their referee in their application form. Recommendation letters received by the Academy will be added to the applicant’s dossier.